Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 21:24:17 +0100
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        Tony Maher <Tony.Maher@eBioinformatics.com>
Cc:        bryan@freebsd.lunch.org, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: neomagic 256av audio

On Thu, 11-Nov-1999 at 11:31:14 +1100, Tony Maher wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > is anyone else working on adding audio support for
> > the neomagic 256av chipset yet?
>
> To current or stable?
> I have Dell Inspiron 3500 with neomagic 256av audio working under stable.
>
> > this is all very new to me.. but i have lots of time
> > and a definite need to listen to mp3s on my laptop...
> > so if i can get a foothold, i'll try to get it done.
>
> I have mpg123 running ok.
>
> Only caveat, If I suspend then mpg123 wont work on resumption, it appears
> that the buffers still have some data in them. (get a repeated loop of sound).
> Also see tsleep messages.
>
> When using modem I get "/kernel: How strange... mss_intr iwith no reason!"
> but everything continues to work (I mam not using the audio).

I have an SNI Mobile 510 AGP which uses the same chipset. I also
experience the "How strange..." error message. Additionally, when
playing multiple mp3's with x11amp, sometimes the audio output
stops at the end of one file and never continues. After rebooting,
it works again.

Apart from that, the 256av works although the mixer capabilities
are rather limited (no master volume, no bass and treble, iirc).

	-Andre

P.S.: running -STABLE