Date:      Wed, 5 Nov 2003 17:59:03 -0800
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@zer0.org>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Too Much DNS Traffic / Analysis

--KjX7LgAomYr70Ka9

On 2003-11-03 18:54 -0800, "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net> wrote:
>=20
> In 'ipfw show' I can see that 528 packets came in on smtp.  20 packets
> came in on http.  Something like 40,000 packets came in on DNS in one day.
> This seems to be way too much DNS traffic for the little bit of use my
> network sees.

Packets is not that useful a measure of figuring out where DNS traffic
originates.  Have you enabled query logging to see what is causing all
the traffic?

I cleaned up a shell script I wrote to make a simple query analysis
and put it up on <http://zer0.org/bsd/>.  Perhaps this would be of
assistance in finding the source of your DNS traffic.

Greg
--=20
Gregory S. Sutter                     My reality check just bounced.
mailto:gsutter@zer0.org=20
http://zer0.org/~gsutter/=20

--KjX7LgAomYr70Ka9

--KjX7LgAomYr70Ka9--