Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2000 19:30:06 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>
To:        Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Perl 5.6 in FreeBSD

Vivek Khera writes:

 > CM> Is the version of perl in the FreeBSD source tree going to be upgraded
 > CM> to Perl 5.6.0 anytime soon? just curious.
 >

 > I certainly hope not in 4-STABLE.  Perl 5.6 still has problems with
 > some things, and requires some patches; why those aren't put together
 > into a 5.6.1 release, I don't know.  But stick with Perl 5.005 in
 > 4-STABLE.

I haven't read the perl5-porters list in the last couple of weeks, but their
core is planning on putting out a 5.7.0 release (development/beta release)
shortly, if they haven't already done so, and then release 5.6.1 with code
MFC'd from 5.7.0 soon after.  I'm not the person responsible for keeping perl
working in the FreeBSD world build, but if I were, I'd wait for 5.6.1.