Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 01:55:31 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: resolving ips?

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998 13:52:54 -0500 (CDT), in sentex.lists.freebsd.misc
you wrote:

>> >Why consult the resolver?  Why not just make your connection based on the
>> >kernel routing tables?
>>
>> I am not sure what you mean by the routing table in this case.. What you
>> are describing is a DNS timeout...If you want it to work faster in this
>> situation, then change /etc/host.conf to list hosts first, then bind and
>> add the necessary information in your /etc/hosts file.
>>

>To clarify the routing table issue, I'll explain what I meant by that.
>If I type "telnet 10.1.1.1", I would not expect telnet to consult a DNS
>server to do a reverse lookup on that IP.  I would expect it to consult
>the routing table, decide that 10.1.1.1 was either on a local subnet,
>through a remote gateway, or through the default route, and route my TCP
>SYN packet accordingly.

I am not sure why an application like telnet would want to concern
itself with routing.. From what I understand, its the job of the OS /
IP Stack to decide how to route the request.  When you open a TCP
socket, you dont have to specify any sort of routing.

Yes, I agree that having the program do any DNS when fed an IP address
is rather strange, but I guess the author thought the presentation was
more important or something...

	---Mike