Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 1996 23:18:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "M. Wang" <mwang@fastlane.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot manager

On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, M. Wang wrote:

> Hi, I installed FreeBSD 2.1.0.  But, when reboot from hard disk, it just
> boot as if I had never installed boot manager.  When I am in DOS, I
> cannot change drive to the partition I installed FreeBSD.  However, from
> fdisk, I can see a partition marked Non-DOS and the activation status is
> on.  I partitioned my disk using fdisk utility of DOS.

Let me guess:  You installed FreeBSD to a second hard disk and installed
the boot manager.  Sysinstall will screw up and put the boot manager on
the wrong disk.  All you need to do is install it on the first disk
yourself.  You'll need bootinst.exe and boot.bin off of the CDROM or at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.1.5-RELEASE/tools.

> When I first installed FreeBSD, I could not boot from my hard disk at
> all.  I had to reinstall DOS and all other data in my first drive and
> second drive. (So, basically, I install FreeBSD before I install DOS?).
> The current situation is like what I described on my first paragraph.

You were getting the "Missing Operating System" message, right?  Well, all
you had to do was boot using a DOS boot floppy, run FDISK, and set a disk
as 'active'.  Then all would be normal.

> I have 486 machine.  Two IDE drives.  130 meg and 540 meg.  I use first
> drive for DOS(windows3.1), and the first part of second drive for DOS,
> and remaining for FreeBSD.
>
> I use novice installation.  The second drive partition after I installed
> FreeBSD is as follows:
>
>   Offset      Size    End    Name   PType   Desc     Subtype   Flags
>       0       1008    1007     -       6    unused      0
>    1008    512,064  513,071   wd1s1    4    extended    5        =
>  513,072   541,296 1,054,367  wd1s2    3    freebsd    165      C=

Checks out here.

> I saw some questions similar to mine on the search engine, but, where can
> I find the answers to those questions?

If they were answered and cc'd back to the list they should also be in the
archive.  Sometimes they aren't and thus don't make it back.

> By the way, when I install, I did not see where it ask me which drive I
> want to install Boot manager, I supposed it just install on my first
> dirve, right?

Explained above.