Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2018 15:28:46 +0000
From:      Vincent Hoffman-Kazlauskas <vince@unsane.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Exim authentication under FreeBSD

On 25/01/2018 14:32, Frank Leonhardt wrote:
> On 2018-01-25 14:14, Lena@lena.kiev.ua wrote:
>>> From: Frank Leonhardt <frank2@fjl.co.uk>
>>>
>>> How do people do outgoing SMTP user-account authentication using Exim?
>>>
>>> I'm talking about traditional user accounts (/etc/passwd) here, not
>>> glorious LDAP or SQL database virtual users. If you've not come across
>>> this little problem-ette, Exim does not ever run as root and therefore
>>> can't check /etc/master.passwd like sendmail/saslauthd can.
>>
>> I run a POP3 server (port mail/popa3d) on the same machine
>> and use obsolete removed port security/pam_pop3 with Exim's
>> server_condition = ${if pam{
>> and /etc/pam.d/exim :
>>
>> auth required /usr/local/lib/pam_pop3.so hostname=localhost info
>> pwprompt=Password: timeout=5
>> account required pam_permit.so
>
> Thanks. This exact method is actually in the Exim documentation, but as
> you state, the port no longer exists.

I dont use exim on freebsd but
https://github.com/Exim/exim/wiki/AuthenticatedSmtpUsingSaslauthd
suggests you could use it with cyrus-sasl-authd which is an option in
the port has that as an option in "make config" but not selected by default.
Another option the port has is dovecot auth if you run dovecot imap/pop3
https://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo/EximAndDovecotSASL
I use the dovecot sasl with postfix happily, but as I said I've not
tried exim.

Hope some of thats helpful

Vince