Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 12:02:12 -0400
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Cc:        Libh <freebsd-libh@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: libdisk doc

--QTprm0S8XgL7H0Dt

On Wed Sep 26, 2001 at 11:55:33AM +0200, Alexander Langer wrote:
> Thus spake The Anarcat (anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org):
>=20
> > I'm digging around libdisk because (correct me if I'm wrong) libhdisk is
> > not really documented and pretty much only a wrapper for libdisk. Now,
>=20
> It's not documented, correct.=20

A first part of the doc might be the little drawing. I think it is still
appliable to the Disk and Disk_Chunk classes.

I might Dia some nice UML stuff out of these classe to have a reference.
Could that be put in CVS? Dia native format is xml...

> But IIRC, it's more than a wrapper to libdisk.

Yes.

> libhdisk also does newfs stuff.

Indeed. Actually, it's some kind of GUI wrapper. It takes does not
directly act on the disk as libdisk does, it takes into account
"modifications" to the structure, has "undo" caps, etc.

> A SIMPLE documentation is provided for each function (-argument)
> in Disk.cd.cc

I will make it more documented. The problem is that there is not much
documentation of the underlying calls to libdisk. And that's why I'm
having trouble "getting into it". :)

I think libdisk, disklabel, slices, etc, should be documented in man
pages. The scheme is not trivial and should be heavily documented.

As a side note, is libhdisk "splittable" from libh? Could it be possible
to use it as a simple libdisk C++ class?

I don't think so. :)

> > All this and more (disklabel.h FS_* macros), should be documented
> > somewhere (is it?).
>=20
> Don't know.

Where should I ask/look?

> > We have the structures:
>=20
> Nice one.
> Hmm, that could be cool stuff for the Developers handbook :)

Thanks, I take it as a compliment. :)

> You might ask the -doc folks.

I'll repost to -doc.

> We can also put it into our doc/ dir, but so no other users
> had advantage of this :-/

I think it should still be put in doc/ since it could be the basis for
future class documentation.

Any thoughts on using a "code documentation system" such as Doxygen?

A.

--QTprm0S8XgL7H0Dt

--QTprm0S8XgL7H0Dt--