Date:      Wed, 8 Jul 1998 23:49:22 -0500
From:      Ben Hockenhull <benh@jpj.net>
To:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SoundBlaster problems (DMA?)

>> CD playthrough works just fine, no problems there.  However, when I go to
>> play an mp3, it fails miserably.  The sound (if you can call it that) is
>> choppy, at best.  The kernel logs a number of these errors to
>> /var/log/messages:
>>

>You might want to get the latest sound drivers from the web page and
>install them and re-build your kernel according to the instructions
>included with the drivers.

The patches at http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ did the trick.  I installed
the pnp support as well as the new sound driver and all appears to work
wonderfully.  This doesn't help my new addiction, however. :)

By the way, I simply ignored the instruction to patch and rebuild
/sbin/dset as I didn't have /sbin source for 2.2.5 and 2.2.5-specific
source has disappeared from the ftp sites.  It doesn't seem to have made a
difference in boottime config.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Ben