Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 16:52:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, rstuemk@ccgate.sos.state.il.us
Subject:   Re: Need Information About Free-BSD Unix

>      Hello,
>
>      Our site has installed Free-BSD for use as an FTP server.  Our host system
>      is an IBM MVS host.  It is our desire to install an IBM software product
>      known as ADStar Distributed System Manager (ADSM).  This IBM product will
>      allow us to backup the FTP server to the IBM host.  This IBM product has a
>      UNIX client which performs the actual backup to the IBM host.  In order to
>      be able to order the correct IBM UNIX client, I need to know what
>      specification it follows.  The question from IBM to me is as follows:
>
>       Your "FREE-BSD", what specifications does it follow: For example:
>       HP Unix, AIX, SUN. You can try the Unix code that relates to that
>       specifications because there is no code for "FREE-BSD" Unix.
>

>      Please advise.  Thank you.
>
>      Rich Stuemke
>      Illinois Secretary of State
>      Technical Support

 I believe there is an ADSM client for SCO UNIX.  Likely, its "code"
 (in IBM parlance) is SCO.  It's quite possible that one will run
 with proper SCO emulation (I recall people mentioning it in the past.)

 You might simply ask for that client from IBM.

 As far as a good answer for them;  you should let them know that
 FreeBSD is a UNIX variant that runs on Intel ia32 hardware; and they
 should consider doing a native port of the ADSM client to FreeBSD.

	- Dave Rivers -

 	- DAve Rivers -