Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 08:32:11 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, jb@cimlogic.com.au
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se
Subject:   Re: 'make world' dying in sbin/atm/atm

>> This belief is not mistaken in the usual self-hosting case.  It is mistaken
>> in the cross-compile case.  Switching to elf requires some cross-compiling.
>
>It _is_ mistaken in _this_ case, because the problem is that a new header
>file had not been installed by a previous make world. So the "installed
>tools & headers are good enough" rule for NOCLEAN did not work. IMHO,

?? NOCLEAN isn't closely related to the tools and headers (NOTOOLS
controls that).  It just prevents cleaning of the obj tree, and does
little or nothing in the self-hosting case if the obj tree is clean to
begin with.  Host tools get installed on the target, but since the tools
were good enough to build the world they are probably good enough for
general use on the target when the target is the same as the host.  OTOH,
in the cross-compile case, the host tools might not run on the target.

>NOCLEAN is causing too many feet to get shot off! We need to find a way
>to restart a failed make world without the simple-minded NOCLEAN. I prefer

You misunderstand the point of NOCLEAN.  It is to rebuild quickly when
nothing much has changed.  It can be useful for restarting the build,
but is not very good for that.

>completion targets, but I'm sure they won't pass the Bruce filter. 8-)

The split-up src/Makefile hasn't passed here.  For the aout to elf
conversion, I do a cross build using essentially the old Makefile.
i386-aout to i386-elf is not much different than i386-aout to
i386-with-64-bit-longs-aout.  Both only work because the target is
similar to the host.  I don't build the aout libraries for either the
host or the target, or do automatic upgrade stuff.  Tools link to host
libraries.

Bruce