Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:51:21 +1100
From:      "Edward Hwang" <hwang_edward@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Xorg doesn't detect my video card..couldn't start Gnome

Hello, BSD guru,

Background:
I have installed FreeBSD 5.3 AMD64 -RELEASE version.
All installation prodedure seems to be okay, but I couldn't start X-windows,
because my video card is ATI Radeon 9250 and error message is unknow "ATI".
I have checked X.org web site and they say they added more ATI chipset
driver for this but I couldn't find specific 9259 chip.
In addtion, FreeBSD 5.3 doesn't detect  the NetGear WG311v2 wireless card.

I'd like to ask a few questions and I would really appreciate if someone can
help me.

1. If I cannot find the specific video card model in hardware support list,
does it mean I cannot start X-windows at all? I hope there could be a
'Generic' driver for AGP video card although the card is not fully
optimised. Can I tweak xorg.conf.new so that it works?

2. I wanted to install Xorg 6.8.1 but I couldn't yet because after
'Sysinstall', I connected to FTP and the FTP keeps connecting to release
version which has 6.7 as 6.8.1 is in 'STABLE' version.
So should I download individual files into each appropriate src directory
and run 'make install' ?

Let me tell you about my experience with FreeBSD:
I have tried to install FreeBSD to 4 computers so far:

1. DELL 8200 with MGA G300
2. Penium Pro with Matrox millenium
3. Clevo M375C laptop + 855GM chipset
4. AMD64/Gigabyte with ATI Radeon 9250.

Interestingly, Xorg and Gnome work with the Clevo laptop. But all the rest
computers didn't work, although the FreeBSD didn't detect the sound card for
the laptop. The Pentium Pro computer didn't work with FreeBSD 5.3 at all! So
I installed 4.11.

I thank you for reading my long email, and I'll appreciate your valuable
advices.

PS: I recently purchased a 'Complete FreeBSD' book, but unfortunately, the
book talks about Xfree86 not Xorg :(