Date:      Sat, 08 Jul 2000 01:10:43 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DHCP problem with 4.0

I recently installed a 4.0 system for a client. Hooked up to the
Net by way of a cable modem. At the time with static IP adresses.
Unfortunately due to circumstances the client needed a new modem
and got forcefed one that works with DHCP. Unfortunately in that
it has been about three years since I last did something with
DHCP and that was on a Slackware Linux system.

I installed it more or less correctly based on the manpages. At
first manually overriding the routes. Of course after "dhclient
-D ed0" had done its thing. At that point I saw the modem lights
light up when I pinged the gateway, even though I got no replies.

So I decided to bite the bullet, used /stand/sysinstall to
reconfigere rc.conf, reset the box and see what happenned. Nothing
much, as it turned out. In fact the modem light didn't even light
up as before. Though I could detect no significant difference in
either the ifconfig or the routing tables.

Decided to return to the office and study what docs I could find.
Unfortunately, most of it is for 2.x or 3.x. Like the otherwise
excellent http://freebsd.simplenet.com/dhcp.html. Checked the FAQ,
did a scan though the days crop of maillist messages as well as a
search though the lists. All to no avail.

So I hit the list with my query: What's wrong. In the hope that
some kind soul will provide insight or even answers.

Here are some specs. But first, checking the dhcp.html doc I phoned
the client and let him do a grep through both LINT and his kernel
config. There were no occurences of 'bpfilter' in either. Even
though four devices were present. Which, of course, leads me to
doubt the applicability of dhcp.html to RELENG_4 (Don't know the
exact version and can't look it up since its connection is unoperable
:).

Next, the specs as written down (boy, do I miss that connection :).

netstat -rn:

Destination		Gateway		Flags	Netif
-----------------	-------------	-----	------
default			213.93.21.193	UGSc	ed0
213.93.21.192/26	link#2		UC	ed0 =>
213.93.21.193		link#2		UHLW	ed0 =>

ifconfig ed0:

ed0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
 inet 213.93.21.199 netmask 0xfffffffc broadcast 213.93.21.255
  ether ...

as per /stand/sysinstall:
ifconfig_ed0="inet netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="213.90.21.193"
hostname="intraction.org"

to activate (interactively):

dhclient -D ed0

Since I've learned that defaultrouter should be set to "NO".

Needless to say the lease looks fine as does the output of
dhclient. What does not work fine is the end result.

Does anyone know what step(s) I'm missing?

Roelof

--
Dog's place @ http://cairni.com/