Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:25:31 -0400
From:      WiggTekMicro Corp <wiggtekmicro@comcast.net>
To:        Dylan Wylie <d.wylie@hccnet.nl>, Mobile-BSDlist <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: XFree86 won't run on 5.1 installed on Lifebook S-2020.

--=-WNjKRFSY41odv56WKnLv

I am glad that you made mention of that step, because I have done that
countless times.  The test always works, and XFree86 always starts that
checkered screen, however, it always stops and indicates that there was
a bad monitor name ":0" twice, and then gives me the bash prompt.  I had
Gnome working after the last message about changing the window manager,
and then I actually tried to log out and start up a kde session.  My
laptop restarted fine, and then I got the same error messages from
"startx" that I did before xfree86 was configured.
Any help would be much appreciated.

I can get the x-server to boot, when I manually edit the .new file, but
never by directly editing the true XF86Config file.  I always have to
make my changes within the XF86Config.new file under the  /root home.

Any assistance with this is much appreciated.
I don't understand why the e x-server is so unreliable in FreeBSD.  I
don't even have to configure it when installing and booting linux.

In FreeBSD, the configuration gui seems to be toying with me, by making
me go through all that configuration and then spitting out the same
errors that I am getting now.

And when I had GNOME up, I found that I had no applications other than
those for administering gnome, or just the bare assentials.  When I went
to the bootup disk and tried to install things from ports collection, my
laptop beeps and then nothing gets installed.

Does anyone have a hint about that?  When I tried to install the ports
packages, I do remember that the / partion seemed to be full, however,
that is not possible, since I have a 20GB partion and ports are usually
installed under /usr.  I did not install the partitions by hand.  I used
option A so that I did not have to take the extra time.  Is this what
might have caused the problem?

Please let me know something.  I am really disappointed with the way
this OS works.  I have been spouting the positives that FBSD and linux
seem to have, but when it comes down to it, I find that a system that
won't even run a simple graphic session reliably is not quite a great as
I had hoped.  I know that FreeBSD is not a user friendly as most other
OS distobutions, but this is plain rediculous.

Oh, I forgot the best part, I have the same issues when using a standard
Gateway VX900 monitor, on my server at home.  I still have redhat loaded
on it, which I am sending these messages with, since I cannot even get
bsd to run a graphic session reliably on either system.

What is the deal guys?????

--=-WNjKRFSY41odv56WKnLv