Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 16:19:36 +0100 (CET)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk -- installing ports as non-root

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>> The patch below tries to address this; or did I miss anything?
> It looks reasonable.  Is this the only occurrence of this?

I believe so, yes.

Thanks for looking at that patchlet! How shall we proceed? May I
commit this after the ports freeze is over, or are you going to
take care of it, or should I file a PR and send you the number?

> Of course, a lot of ports still can't be installed as non-root because
> they use an internal install script.  It might be interesting to have an
> idea of how many are in this class.

I haven't done extensive testing, but I'm afraid the number is high. :-(

One thing I noticed, for example with textproc/sgmlformat, is that this
port uses /usr/share/mk/ to build and install, and the Makefiles there
lack the "intelligence" of the ports collection Makefiles (which avoid
chown if not run as root), so you have to manually set BINOWN, BINGRP,
MANOWN, MANGRP, etc.  Would you consider accepting a patch that tries
to avoid that also in case of /usr/share/mk?

Gerald (gerald@FreeBSD.org)
--
Gerald "Jerry"   pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/