Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 11:56:08 -0600
From:      Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com>
To:        Joseph Robert Herrmann <jrh2@cec.wustl.edu>, FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD can't see my CD-ROM drive

Make sure you have the right master/slave settings on your IDE devices. If
your CD-ROM drive is by itself on an IDE controller, it must be the master.
This is normally controlled by jumpers on the drive.

Charles

P.S. Other operating systems tolerate this. FreeBSD does not. That's another
discussion, please don't start a holy war here.