Date:      Sat, 12 Sep 1998 18:49:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Plans to upgrade /etc/services?

On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, Studded wrote:

> Robert Watson wrote:
> >
> > Are there plans to integrate recent additions to the IANA port assignments
> > into /etc/services?
>
> 	I've had a PR open on this forever. Now that I'm finally done with a
> major FreeBSD project maybe I'll look at this. I doubt it will happen in
> time for the 3.0 release in any case.
>
> > Coda recently acquired IANA port numbers, and we'd
> > love it if the FreeBSD services file included them by default. :)  Also,
> > if anyone else's services files included them by default, of course.
> >
> > Would it be best if I just submitted patches?
>
> 	My take on the situation is that patches for a specific set of things
> submitted in a PR would likely be committed, so I would highly recommend
> that course of action.

I have taken the IANA port list and reformatted it a bit to use #'s for
comments and so on.  There is a copy of it at

http://www.watson.org/~robert/services

However, I wasn't sure what the formatting requirements for /etc/services
were.  The IANA list has a number of entries like this:

                  0/tcp    #Reserved
                  0/udp    #Reserved

That is, with no actual service name.  Will FreeBSD support libraries
care?  Should I just comment them out in the style of the current services
file?  (there are aroud 20 such instances in the IANA ports list)

Also, the IANA ports list does not include the duplicate names for ports
-- for example, the current services file lists:

imap            143/tcp    imap2 imap4 #Interim Mail Access Protocol v2

IANA just has an entry in the form:
imap            143/tcp    #Internet Message Access Protocol

There are a number of cases where IANA has two names for the same port,
and lists them on sequential lines instead of using the BSD extension
format with the additional names before the comment.

If someone gives me some pointers, I'll patch up those few remaining
issues, and it should be a fairly useful services file (it is up-to-date
as of this afternoon).  One other minor problem is apparent -- when I do a
netstat, the service names in general appear fine.  Except for ssh in my
version of /etc/services:

tcp        0      0  SLEIPNIR.RES.CMU.1021  COPLAND.CODA.CS..22
ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0  SLEIPNIR.RES.CMU.1031  www.iana.org.http
CLOSE_WAIT

As you can see, http is correctly listed, but ssh is not listed for 22.

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/