Date:      Wed, 3 Dec 2014 19:34:44 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Subject:   Re: enable TRIM by default ?

--tsOsTdHNUZQcU9Ye

On 2014-Dec-03 00:45:47 -0700, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

>> On Dec 3, 2014, at 12:14 AM, Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com> wrote:
>>=20
>> On 2014-Dec-02 07:43:13 +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wr=
ote:
>>> Isn't it time that we enable TRIM by default in newfs ?
>>=20
>> As an alternative viewpoint, I have a SSD that got severe indigestion wh=
en
>> I tried to enable TRIM:
>> aspire kernel: ad0: TIMEOUT - CFA ERASE retrying (1 retry left)
>> aspire kernel: ad0: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE taskqueue ti=
meout - completing request directly
>> aspire kernel: ata1: error issuing SETFEATURES ENABLE WCACHE command
>> aspire kernel: ata1: error issuing SET_MULTI command
>> aspire kernel: ata1: error issuing WRITE_DMA command
>> The kernel then went to 1 core of interrupt and wedged.
>
>Is this a SSD, or a CF card of some flavor. The CFA ERASE trim method
>pre-dates the much better and easier to use DSM (Data Set Trim) method
>that more modern SSDs use. Perhaps we can take a cue off of that? Or
>maybe the detection for when to use CFA ERASE is busted since it was
>only ever supposed to be used with CF cards...

It's a Super Talent FEM16GF13M - which describes itself as a SSD and has
a PATA interface.  That trial was ~3 years ago and so probably on 8.x.

>Except that=E2=80=99s not what=E2=80=99s being proposed. Enabling TRIM by =
default means
>turning trim on in newfs which will not turn on for drives that don=E2=80=
=99t set the
>CANDELETE flag. IF the drive doesn=E2=80=99t advertise support for either =
CFA ERASE
>or DSM TRIM (in the ata world), nothing changes.

That sounds OK.  If a drive advertises that is supports TRIM, it should be
safe to enable it.  I was concerned that it would force TRIM on.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--tsOsTdHNUZQcU9Ye

--tsOsTdHNUZQcU9Ye--