Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 10:57:37 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID 5 Failure dumps all terminals

> We use A Mylex DAC960PD RAID 5 controller, attached to 7
> harddrives. One of the drives have had permanent failures, so
> we changed it. Well, as I understand RAID 5, rebuilding the defective
> drive should not involve the system, but On console (it ttyv0) I get
> a message like "mlx0: error reading message log - invalid log entry request".

The controller has told us that there's a message waiting for us, but
when we go to get the message, it claims that it doesn't exist.  The
driver doesn't handle being lied to very well; you're probably getting a
storm of these messages based on your followups.  I'll take a look at
this and see if I can reproduce it.

> On all other ttyv* a logged in user (root) gets the same message
> from kernel. Is this eloquence of the kernel and the mlx-driver a preliminary
> feature or is the code still buggy, instable or anything else? I feel a little bit
> confused about that, while other systems using RAID 5 are completely quiet
> while rebuilding the defective and changed device.

I have no idea what "other systems" you're talking about.  I consider it
prudent to log hardware failures, rather than letting them slip silently
by.

> On the other hand, how can I redirect console output to another console, on which
> nobody never can log in (it should not be ttyv0)? How to prevent users and root
> on some ttyv* from getting that much error messages, except on a bunch of
> declared ttys?

You would want to read the syslogd manpage, which will make this very
standard part of your system's configuration somewhat clearer.