Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 2002 11:00:35 +0100
From:      Ceri Davies <ceri@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org, nik@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/38225: change "CDROM" to "CD-ROM"

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 09:30:45PM +0200, Marc Fonvieille said:

> May i ask something, where did we talk about changing back the PR state?
> I don't say that i would not change it back, but i don't see why you
> changed it back without talking with me about it.

Marc,

As Trevor mentioned in a response to the PR, there is adequate evidence
that we should change this convention within the doc project (as supplied
in the PR).

Nothing in the Documentation Project Primer is set in stone - the note
mentioning "CDROM" is only there to attempt to maintain consistency so
far as I can see.

I agree that the change should be made, and I'm prepared to do it once
I get back online (contrary to appearances, I'm not at the moment).
This will be in 3 to 4 weeks time by current estimates, so if you'd rather
not deal with this then please assign the PR to myself.

I certainly don't believe that the PR should be closed, unless wider
discussion on -doc throws up considerable objection to the change, and
I can't think of any reason why there would be any (trevor is, after all,
proposing that we correct an inaccuracy in the project).

> I explained in my previous message (the one where i missed the
> *re-open*) the reason of the *close*, and it seems your "IMO" is better
> than my arguments... and according to that message i asked you something,
> and still nothing in my mailbox...

Please don't upset yourself!
Trevor's "IMO" is not all the evidence provided - there are documents
quoted within the PR from companies who own the technology stating that
the correct acronym is CD-ROM.

Ceri