Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 1997 17:20:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>
To:        Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, mcgovern@spoon.beta.com, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Constructive criticism (was: bashing everyone for fun and profit)

On Fri, 31 Jan 1997, Mark Mayo wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Jan 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
SNIP
> > purposes.  Also, "The Complete FreeBSD" == "Installing and Running FreeBSD"
> > with printed man pages, that's all. :-)

I wrote an email to Greg, and mentioned what I was trying to do.  He said
he left alot of system administration stuff out of his latest book.  So I
thought I'd include some of that. Mostly I think I am aiming at the First
time System administrators.  Having access to Free Unix lands alot more of
us in the position of System Administrator than any Commercial Unix Server
ever could.  I was one of them.

SNIP

> but to create a book on something else! Essentially, focus more on what
> you can do with FreeBSD after the installation.
>
> Check out http://www.bb.cc.wa.us/~chris/book.html  for the preliminary
> Table of Contents

I try to post something new each day, even if it is small.

> > Would this book be written in SGML and back-portable to the FreeBSD
> > web page distribution, or what exactly?  If the author finds SGML too
> > constraining and retreats to HTML or some other format then I
> > certainly understand and won't gritch about it, I'm just wondering.

I just got my first SGML book, "The Concise <SGML> Companion".  So I don't
know much about SGML.  I was going to worry about content first.  But I am
becoming fond of the Idea that this is an On-line Book.  So I am open to
suggestions.

> I guess it's undecided so far - Chris is putting it together, and it's his
> idea. It's an open effort, with a consideration of possibly publishing a
> book -- we both noticed that the Sams.Net "How to make a Linux Internet
> Server" books are insanely popular.. We're planning on describing our own
> trials and tribulations of starting from scratch with FreeBSD and ending
> up with the amazing things you can accomplish with the OS. All ideas are
> welcome of course - take a look at the TOC and give Chris (or me)
> feedback!
>
> -mark
Linux has too many books.  I would like to see a few other titles for
FreeBSD generated in concert to this one.

>  Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
>  RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark
> 	"I prefer tongue-tied knowledge to ignorant loquacity."
> 						Cicero (106-43 B.C.)
>

> > 						Jordan

Christopher J. Coleman (chris@aries.bb.cc.wa.us)
Computer Support Technician I  (509)-766-8873
Big Bend Community College  Internet Instructor
FreeBSD Book Project:  http://www.bb.cc.wa.us/~chris/book.html
Death is life's way of telling you you're fired.