Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:47:11 -1000
From:      Gary Dunn <gdunng@mac.com>
To:        "Sloan, Geoff" <Geoff.Sloan@COMPAQ.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compaq ProLiant 3000 SMP and Ports Collection through HTTP firewa ll questions...

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Sloan, Geoff wrote:
> In a world full of Red Hat here at Compaq, I'm trying to install FreeBSD 4.1
> on a ProLiant 3000 (dual 500MHz, Smart Array 3200 controller) in my office.
> I've gotten the OS installed, but was curious as to how I'd go about
> building an SMP kernel, or if it's even possible/advisable on this system.
> It's been eons since I've built a kernel. :P  All of the sources are
> installed, so if there's a way to do it, I shouldn't have a problem.
>
> Second issue.  I'm behind an HTTP proxy here at Compaq, and I would very
> much like to use FTP to get the latest ports via the ports collection.  How
> would I go about setting up the ports collection to use the proxy correctly?
> Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Geoff Sloan
> Systems Engineer
> Insight Management QA
> Industry Standard Server Division
> COMPAQ Computer Corporation
> Phone: (281) 518-7292

Wow! COMPAQ is in the building! This is great!! I have two Proliant servers
running FreeBSD (and a Dell ... but that's Okay). Geoff, please get with the
tech support side and offer at least a little visibility on the company web
site. Linux gets lots of space, and I think FreeBSD should, too. For example, I
stumbled a bit doing my last install because I was not sure what to select for
my NIC, nd someone else was confused by the choice of operating systems in the
SmartStart sequence. A good How-to on installing FreeBSD on COMPAQ servers
would be teriffic. Another critical topic is what models will work, and what
NICs are built-in.

--
 == Gary Dunn
 == Honolulu