Date:      Thu, 3 May 2007 20:35:33 +0200
From:      Marko Zec <zec@icir.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        youshi10@u.washington.edu
Subject:   Re: Unix friendly network testbench for FreeBSD?

On Thursday 03 May 2007 01:53:19 youshi10@u.washington.edu wrote:
> On Thu, 3 May 2007, Marko Zec wrote:

> >> Hmmm... ok, expanding on that what I was looking for was a means
> >> to simulate semi-realtime delays across a virtual network with 4+
> >> virtual machines. Is it possible to use Dummynet in this case, or
> >> do I need to look into something else?
> >
> > You can use IMUNES for emulating arbitrarily complex network
> > topologies with hundreds of nodes, with each virtual node beheaving
> > like an independent FreeBSD box, if that's what you are after.
> > www.imunes.net -> it's still based on an aging but rock solid 4.11
> > kernel, with a version that will run on 7.0-CURRENT expected to
> > become available in the next month or so.
> >
> > Marko
>
> Marko,
>       What roadblocks are you coming across porting IMUNES to a
> possibly earlier version (5.5, 6.2) of FreeBSD than 7 though? Maybe I
> can try and help, depending on the required tasks.

The chances for any backporting of the virtualization framework to 6.x
or even 5.x are quite slim.  As Julian mentioned, if stability and
performance arw your priorities, try the old version (based on 4.11).
Otherwise, grab the -CURRENT sources from imunes.tel.fer.hr/virtnet and
help us hunt out the bugs...

Cheers,

Marko