Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2013 10:47:40 +0100
From:      "Christopher J. Ruwe" <cjr@cruwe.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: poudriere behave-alike for

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 08:40:54 +0100
John Marino <dragonflybsd@marino.st> wrote:

> On 11/25/2013 02:15, Christopher J. Ruwe wrote:
> > I think my question is slightly off-topic, but I think
> > freebsd-ports@ may be the best of many not so good fits:
> >
> > I need to build packages for Solaris and SmartOS. My first choice
> > would be ports, which unfortunately are not very well suited to
> > cross-building. Instead I use, as many people, pkgsrc.
> >
> > I would like to leverage pkgsrc with something like poudriere,
> > especially as I have ZFS and zones in Solaris/SmartOS. I found in a
> > message on the DragonFlyBSD list
> > http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/users/2013-01/msg00008.html
> > a mention of poudriere being used on DragonFly/pkgsrc.
>
> I was involved in that referenced email.
>
> The first point to make is that currently ports is *not* an option for
> solaris or SmartOS, regardless of its ability to cross compile.
>
> Point #2 is that I want to try to bring ports to the solaris-alike
> family in the future (aka sunports), but work on this hasn't started
> yet, and adapting solaris will be a lot more work than adapting
> DragonFly was (and believe me DF was *A LOT* of work.
>
> Point #3 is that if I were still heavily involved in pkgsrc, I would
> probably create a branch of poudriere that supported pkgsrc.  It is
> something I would recommend highly to the pkgsrc community.  However,
> it suffers greatly from "Not invented Here" syndrome, so most consider
> (without proper evaluation) that pkgsrc tools are more or less
> equivalent.  The fact is that they are not.
>

> > Does anybody know of the state of this piece of software? The git
> > repos I can find on google are stale links. As etoilebsd is
> > referenced in the mail from DragonFly, I chose to ask here first.
>
> There is no poudriere-for-pkgsrc.
> The current poudriere branches are here:
> https://fossil.etoilebsd.net/poudriere/brlist
>
> For pkgsrc your choices are:
> http://pkgsrc.se/pkgtools/distbb
> http://pkgsrc.se/pkgtools/pbulk
>
> Here's a recent post about setting up pbulk:
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-users/2013/11/09/msg018881.html
>
> In general its poorly documented and difficult to set up parallel
> building.  The script above is yet another attempt to reduce the
> complexity but I don't think either pbulk or distcc have nearly the
> polish or features that poudriere has.  But take that with a grain of
> salt because I haven't used either in a long time.
>
> One more thing: SmartOS not only uses pkgsrc officially, they have a
> full builder farm that makes a full set of packages quarterly packages
> available.  It also works on other illumos platforms.  The best
> approach is just use their work.
>
> Another tutorial how to set up bulk build:
> http://www.perkin.org.uk/posts/distributed-chrooted-pkgsrc-bulk-builds.html
>
> info about packages already built:
> http://www.perkin.org.uk/posts/whats-new-in-pkgsrc-2013Q2.html
>
> You might want to check out the reset of www.perkin.org.uk for
> interesting posts.
>
> John

Thanks to both and Shane for your kind answers. I know of Jonathan
Perkin's work and I also know of an approach roughly resembling
poudriere ideas named 'pk' (github.com/mamash/pk), which however seems
do have been abandoned by Joyent.

While it would be well be possible to use Joyent's binaries, I am a
huge fan of the ability of ports-like systems to be tuned. I am also a
huge fan of the poudriere approach of building everything in clean
jails, especially after being nastily bitten by implicit dependencies
(i.e., such deps as introduced by autoconf runs instead of being
declared in the port).

I had the hopes that issue had come up sufficiently often that
somebody already did a poudriere port or build a functional clone or
however to call that. I do not really know whether I can port
poudriere capability- and capacity-wise.

However, many thanks, your answers have helped me a lot in getting a
better picture.

Cheers,

--
Christopher
TZ:         GMT + 1h

FreeBSD 9.2-STABLE #1 r256184: Thu Oct 10 19:12:54 CEST 2013
cjr@dijkstra.cruwe.de:/usr/obj/usr/home/cjr/media/src/freebsd/base/stable/9/sys/GEN_WDTRACE

Punctuation matters:
"Lets eat Grandma." or "Lets eat, Grandma." - Punctuation saves lives.
"A panda eats shoots and leaves." or "A panda eats, shoots, and
leaves." - Punctuation teaches proper biology.

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not
necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to
land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead." (RFC 1925)