Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 22:18:40 -0800
From:      "Mark Castillo" <markc@Relationships.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Networking situation..

A note about my last response to this question.  Our company is (still)
waiting on a T-1 line into our new office.
I had to get a solution up quickly that we could access our POP email from
our new location.  After trying NT Server with Proxy Server 2.0, I wasted an
entire day trying to install the server and client workstations software.  I
had never used Proxy Server for NT, but it seemed like it would be a trouble
free setup. Wrong!
After installing the Proxy Server, it turned out that you had to install a
proxy client on the workstation as well.  That was fine on our NT
workstations, but once I tried it on a Win95 laptop, KABOOM!  The laptop
would only come up in safe mode.  That night, I said, F*CK this!  So I
configed a a spare P-100 with a 28.8 modem and NIC using natd and ip
aliasing.  I got a total solution finished in about 3 hours (from
installation to a working gateway).  I had never attempted ip aliasing or
natd with FreeBSD before, and it was easier than I thought.  The next
morning, I hooked up the box, changed my NIC's IP address, dialed our ISP
via ppp, and viola!  Instant internet access.  FreeBSD saves the day again!

-- mark c.