Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 00:14:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Frederick Thomas <nikita_the_jew@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Hello <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: I could use a little help...

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Frederick Thomas wrote:

> hi,
>     i am completely new to freeBSD, ergo, bear with
> me,
> i just need to ask a few questions. i have an old 486
> which i just installed a second larger hard
> drive{1.2g} which i will be using to install freeBSD.
> the
> main problem is that i will be installing from
> floppies,(no internet at home), so i was hoping that i
> could copy all the files to the Win95 harddrive and
> then the freeBSD install will prompt me for the
> correct media type, and i should be okay,(at least
> that
> is what the documentation says). also, there is a file

You really won't be installing from floppies; you'll be
installing from a DOS parition (that's one of the choices);
and you can put all the files in C:\freebsd\bin,
C:\freebsd\man, and so forth.  You do want to get
the structure right so FreeBSD can find the files.

You will be booting the two floppies needed for
installation, though.

> which i couldn't download from the ftp site for
> release
> 4.4, the bin.au winamp file, so if the install, won't
> worry about it, fine. if not could you please email it

I don't know what this is; I thought they all had an
alphabetic series of extensions.

> to me. is there any particular order in which i should
> have the files on the Win95 harddrive, i.e directories
> that the install will look for by default, because i
> need to know if there are any i need besides the /bin,
> /xfree86, /manpages for right now. finally, what is

I think you found the right information on the web page--
that's your best guide.

> the best way to slice up and partition the {1.2g} hd?
> please return any correspondence to the address above.
> any help would be appreciated. thanks :)

I'd do / at 100MB, /var at 80MB, swap at 2 times your
RAM if you want to use X and you have 32MB (if less
3XRAM), and the rest for /usr.  Some people would do
swap and then let everything else be / (var and usr
will show up under / but it would all be one partition).

That would work too.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC