Date:      Sun, 3 Feb 2008 12:55:52 +0100 (CET)
From:      Christian Baer <christian.baer@uni-dortmund.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Behind a router

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 21:49:55 -0800 (PST) Eugen Udma wrote:

I took the liberty of cleaning up you post. Please fix your line wrap! One
word per line is not what I call easy reading.

> I had a working minimal FreeBSD system until I put it behind a wireless
> router.  Since then, my network is not accessible anymore when I boot
> BSD.  On the same desktop I have a Gentoo Linux system which works just
> fine, even if I didn't touch any of it's configuration files after I
> installed the router.
>
> The router is a ZyXEL P-335U connected to a cable modem.  The desktop is
> plugged into a LAN port.  A laptop connected by wireless has no
> problems.  The router gets it's IP from the ISP and acts as a firewall
> and a DHCP server to my network: it serves a pool of 32 addresses
> starting at 192.168.1.33.  Its own address is 192.168.1.1.  The IP
> Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0.
>
> The configuration files for FreeBSD are shown below.  The output of
> ifconfig and netstat are also shown for BSD and Linux.
>
> What I don't understand is the fact that having the same router
> settings, Linux works while BSD doesn't: I can't even ping 192.168.1.1,
> while the same ping in Linux works.
>
> I read the handbook and various other BSD information sources
> on the web and I could not solve this issue.
>
> My question is: which config files do I have to edit in FreeBSD and what
> settings should I use ?  Can anybody help ?

The reason seams to be a completely broken configuration of dhclient.conf
resulting in several problems. Among them that two boxes get the same IP
address. Both your BSD and you Linux box have 192.168.1.33.

> /etc/rc.conf
> ifconfig_dc0="DHCP"
> hostname="localhost"
>
> /etc/dhclient.conf
> interface
> "dc0"
> {
> send
> host-name
> "localhost";
> request
> subnet-mask,
> broadcast-address,
> routers,
> domain-name-servers,
> domain-name,
> time-servers;
> require
> domain-name-servers;
> }

The problem is probably you sending that name "localhost" which should
never have any other address than 127.0.0.1. Why did you play with the
settings anyway? Normally a dhcp-client works right out of the box. I have
never had to change any of the configurations - ever.

Regards,
Chris