Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 21:05:17 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        Edwin Culp <eculp@EnContacto.Net>
Cc:        MultiMedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device for DVD with mplayer/current/devfs?

Edwin Culp:
 |I decided to try playing a dvd on my laptop running current. I get the
 |following error with acd0a and acd0c and devfs doesn't have a dvd device :
 |
 |# mplayer -dvd 1 /dev/acd0c
 |libdvdread: Can't open path /dev/acd0c.
 |Couldn't open DVD device: /dev/acd0c

Thomas E. Zander:
 |Although I don't have a -current system at the moment, I saw this on a
 |-stable machine using libdvdread in a version earlier than 0.9.

Don't have current here either.  mplayer works here on 4.3-stable (from
June) with dvdread 0.9.2 as mentioned on the list, with /dev/acd1c linked
to /dev/dvd, and running as root.

Sitting here playing the only DVD I have (The Matrix) full screen full
frame rate no problems.  Just need a decent soundcard/speakers, and
buying/renting DVDs starts to make some sense!

Randall

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb@nc.rr.com