Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 14:41:58 -0500
From:      stan <stanb@awod.com>
Subject:   Help making second disk bootable

I Broke so much stuff with last weekends atempt at upgrading the base system
and ports, that after fighting with it all week, all I really want is
my machine back to the state it was in on last Friday :-(

here is what I have:

1. A good set of Amanda backups.
2. A machine with several disk, everythign including /usr/local
   is on ad0, and ad1 is an identical disk.

Here is my plan.

1. Use sysinstall to partion ads1 (done. I could not get it to
   partion just like ad1, but all the "auto" created partions are
   at least big enough, and I'm really wanting to wind up back on
   ads0, anyway).
2. Restore all 3 partions on ads1 (/, /var, usr). (runing as I type
   this).
3. Make ads1 bootable (How do I do this?).
4. Reboot, coming up on ads1.
5. Mount the 3 paritions of ads1, and do a rm -rf on them ( will I
   get burned by symlinks here?).
6. Uisng tar copy all 3 paritions of ads1 to the respective paritions
   of ads0. (Any risks of permissions, sticky bit loss here?) (tar cvpf -
   | tar xpf -).
7. Reboot using adsi (happy ending?).

Can anyone see any problems with this strategy? Is there a safer one?
Thanks for any sugestiosn, I'm prety frustrated at the moent, this was one sweet machien with
several months of tweaking on it, and I dpended on it for daily use!

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin