Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 17:33:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Daniel Harris <hogie@nettalklive.com>
To:        Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Karl Swartz <kls@ohare.chicago.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more data on "calcru: negative time: -nnn usec"

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Doug Russell wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>
> > APM strikes again.
> >
> > You cpu was slowed down while you booted the other two times.
> >
> > The RAM is worse, check out the npx0 flags in LINT and try that.
> >
> > Poul-Henning
>
> I haven't really been following this thread from the beginning, but I just
> installed -STABLE on a 486DX4/100 and I get all kinds of calcru: negative
> time ... messages.  I don't think the machine even knows what APM is.  If
> it does, it is fully disabled.  It is quite old, but I have used the same
> motherboard before with older versions of FreeBSD and never had anything
> strange.  It has been a while, though.  What would cause this?

We had a Dell Workstation 400 (Dual PPro200) that had this problem.  We
had APM disabled along with all the funky stuff that Dell's might have.
Recently that machine was replaced with a system with an all scsi drive.
When we brought it back to the office to change to a MS SQL server for
development, NT would not install on it because of "Hardware Problems".  I
have a feeling that problem is related to the machine having calcru
messages in the log files.  Maybe this is a hardware problem with other
machines also?

-  Daniel Harris
-  daniel@nettalklive.com
-  NetTalk Live! Network Administrator