Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 22:55:47 +0100
From:      "Juan L. Freniche" <jlfreniche@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Boot from two hard disks

Please respond also directly to jlfreniche@acm.org (I am not subscribed).

I am unable to boot (from the boot manager) the second hard disk. However, I can boot such second hard disk from the boot stage 2.

I have this configuration:

Primary IDE, master: hard disk (wd0), BootEasy, FreeBSD 3.3
Primary IDE, slave: ATAPI CDROM
Secondary IDE, master: hard disk (wd2), standard MBR, FreeBSD 3.3 with some experimental changes, not relevant here.
Secondary IDE, slave: empty

BootEasy is installed with /stand/sysinstall.

My kernel configuration (for both FreeBSD installations) is:

controller wdc0 at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 flags 0xa0ffa0ff vector wdintr
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
#disk           wd1     at wdc0 drive 1

controller wdc1 at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 flags 0xa0ffa0ff vector wdintr
disk            wd2     at wdc1 drive 0
#disk           wd3     at wdc1 drive 1

options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM
device          acd0            #IDE CD-ROM

The boot manager displays:

F1  FreeBSD
F5  Drive 1

Pressing F1 brings up FreeBSD on the first hard disk.
Pressing F5 produces some movement in the CDROM and then reboots the machine.
Pressing F1 and then Space, brings up the boot prompt. Using now

boot 1:wd(2,a)kernel

allows to boot FreeBSD on the second hard disk.

I think I am a similar case to the one explained in the Greg Lehey book ``The Complete FreeBSD'' page 121 (the text version is included in CDROM no. 1, /book/book.txt):

>From the book:

1. You  have  two  IDE disks, each configured as the master on their respective IDE busses.  You have no disk on the primary slave position (you might have a CD-ROM  drive there). FreeBSD is on the second disk.  The BIOS sees these as disk 0 and disk 1, while FreeBSD sees them as wd0 and  wd2,  in  other  words disk 2.  To tell the loader how to find it, stop it before booting and enter:

Effectively, the BTX Loader displays:

BTX Loader ...
BIOS drive A: is disk0
BIOS drive C: is disk1
BIOS drive D: is disk2

It seems to me that BootEasy is using disk1 as the CDROM instead of using BIOS disk2.

Any way to solve it?

Thanks in advance.

--
Juan L. Freniche