Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 07:47:18 -0600
From:      Bob Van Valzah <Bob@Talarian.Com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        pW <packetwhore@stargate.net>, FreeBSD-Security@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Racoon Problem & Cisco Tunnel

--------------080107090808010207030409

Ted, Loved the book--can't wait for the movie!

This is a religious war that's been fought many times before. Since my
last answer was too flip, I'll clarify my point of view. IPv4, IPv6, and
NAT are all just tools that I have to apply with "business sense." NAT's
not inherently evil, nor is IPv6. Their sensibility will change over
time and depend upon the application.

If I were shopping for DSL for "my mom," I wouldn't care if she got a
public address or not. Reliability and good support (as a "little guy"
can more often provide) would be more important.

But when I'm shopping for DSL for a work-from-home, multicast protocol
stack developer, a public address is a requirement. In fact, it's
something I'll pay extra to get. For my business, IPSec is important and
hence having at least one public address is important.

My protocol developers have a few LANs at home and we happily use NAT
there. I wouldn't pay extra to get enough address space to put public
addresses on all their home lab machines.

An ISP who won't give me at least one public address is just limiting
where I can apply their service. An ISP who gives me one or more public
addresses let's me pick the point at which I want to apply NAT.

So in spite of my flip remarks, I hope you can see that I do use NAT--I
just put it off to the last minute where it doesn't make business sense
to avoid it.

   Bob

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> [...]

the application.<br>
If I were shopping for DSL for "my mom," I wouldn't care if she got a public
address or not. Reliability and good support (as a "little guy" can more
often provide) would be more important.<br>
But when I'm shopping for DSL for a work-from-home, multicast protocol stack
developer, a public address is a requirement. In fact, it's something I'll
pay extra to get. For my business, IPSec is important and hence having at
least one public address is important.<br>
My protocol developers have a few LANs at home and we happily use NAT there.
I wouldn't pay extra to get enough address space to put public addresses
on all their home lab machines.<br>
An ISP who won't give me at least one public address is just limiting where
I can apply their service. An ISP who gives me one or more public addresses
let's me pick the point at which I want to apply NAT.<br>
So in spite of my flip remarks, I hope you can see that I do use NAT--I just
put it off to the last minute where it doesn't make business sense to avoid
it.<br>
 &nbsp;&nbsp; Bob<br>
Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:<br>