Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 1995 04:45:10 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@news.iadfw.net>
To:        davide.tome'@galactica.it
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Colorado Jumbo Tape

In reply:
> To: hackers@FreeBSD.org
> Subject: Colorado Jumbo Tape
> From: davide.tome'@galactica.it (DAVIDE TOME')
> Date: Wed, 01 Mar 95 11:46:00 +0100

> Hi,
>
> How can I use my Colorado Jumbo Tape (QIC 80) to backup FreeBSD ??
> I mean ..... what kind of software is better to make it work ?
>
> Ciao
>
>                                                Davide

boot with -c

config> flags fdc0 1
config> quit

ignore all of the error messages, but verify that the tape drive is
recognized [right after all of the error messages]....  I know of a
system where even the above didn't work [server.iadfw.net, so much for
installing FreeBSD from tape there...  had to resort to [UGH!] floppy
install].  It works fine here at home though...

then use ft:

tar -cvf - files.to.dump | ft

otherwise wait for QicTape which will allow QIC compat file interchange
between operating systems [coming soon...  Shareware, $50.00 USD].  Maybe
in a few months it'll be done.  I'm waiting to see what happens to the ft
device driver...

Jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or