Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:27:19 +0200
From:      "Fischer, Oliver" <plexus@snafu.de>
To:        Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
Cc:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>, FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd test matrix

Sorry for my very late answer, I had to do some assigments for my
university.

Mike Hoskins wrote:
> Clearly, this process indicates developers should write test cases for
> their code...  Unfortuneately, the last thing an opensource project needs
> is more work for the developers.  :)

Yes, I know this argument but I think it  isn't true. Only the start is
hard but if you have a working test system you are much more flexible
because you are not afraid that changes can break the system and you
don't realize it.

I know this from my own projects. Often little changes here broke code
there. :-(

> Of course it would be nice to someday have a fully automated, robust
> test/stress setup for builds...  That will involve a lot of work from
> build/QA people and developers.  So, in the meantime, what can we do to
> provide a resource that is immediately available, and serves to gather
> initiative for future projects?

It needs even a lot of time to develop such a testsystem. It must be
flexible, extensible, modular AND fast. I guess I needs some months
to reach a state, that other people could integrate their stuff.

 > provide a resource that is immediately available, and serves to gather
 > initiative for future projects?

> Would a site that simply let people post hardware specs, kernel configs,
> dmesg output, debugging info, etc. be useful?  I think maintaining a
> searchable, user-supported database of build results would be a useful
> first step toward something much larger.

Ja, that is a good idea. Any concreate ideas how to do it? I would take
part in it.

BYe

Oliver