Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 10:05:27 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Ross Potts <rpotts@med.osd.mil>, Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -RELEASE and -STABLE

On Wed, 11 February 1998 at 12:32:39 -0500, Ross Potts wrote:
>> Periodically, the code in -stable is put on a CD, at which time
>> it is called a -release.  As you mentioned above, -release tends to need
>> patches, simply because
>
> Oh, I think I get it now.  -RELEASE is a result of all the -STABLE versions to
> a certain time period.
>
> Is that a correct assumption?

Sort of.  -RELEASE happens at a particular point in time, required for
pressing a CD-ROM.  -STABLE is an ongoing thing.  There are two
possibilities:

1.  -RELEASE is a newer version than -STABLE.   A while back we had
     2.2.<mumble>-RELEASE and 2.1.7-STABLE.

2.  -RELEASE and -STABLE are the same version.  This means that at the
     time -RELEASE is released, it's the same thing as -STABLE.  Then
     -STABLE continues evolving, while -RELEASE stays the way it is.

Greg