Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 12:45:44 -0700
From:      "Erin" <Kahn@deadbbs.com>
To:        "'Brian Reichert'" <reichert@numachi.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Secondary BIND server.

> - your primary server's zone file lists both your name
> servers in the SOA
> - your primary server's been told it's master for that zone
> - your slave server's been told it's a slave for that zone (and
>   who the master is)
>
> Then when you start the secondary server up, it will automatically
> get the zone file from the primary.
>
> If you modify the zone, the primary will notify the secondary of
> the change, and the secondary will get a new copy of the zone file.
>
> This does mean that you inform have to infrom both servers of the
> domain in question.  If you have a fluid set of domains, your new
> question becomes 'how can I propegate changes to my named.conf
> file?'.

I knew what I wanted to say in my head, it just never makes it to the email
that way.  :-)

ok, If I add the domain into the named.conf and set it up on the primary,
what I would like to do is have it automatically set its self up on the
secondary in the named.conf and then get a cop of the zone file.

Does this make sense?

Thanks again,

Erin

mailto:kahn@deadbbs.com
http://www.deadbbs.com
http://www.fortenberry.net

"Can i dial 1-255-255-255255 and make every phone in the world ring?"

-- Tanuki