Date:      Mon, 7 Dec 2009 12:56:18 -0800
From:      Chris Cowart <ccowart@timesinks.net>
To:        Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: msk link problems on 8.0

--da4uJneut+ArUgXk

Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 11:43:50AM -0800, Chris Cowart wrote:
>> Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
>>>=20
>>> At least this indicates you didn't use latest msk(4) in HEAD because
>>> the message was removed there.
>>=20
>> Sorry I was unclear on the chronology; I was seeing this behavior before
>> I honed in on the link-state problem and built the msk(4) from HEAD.
>>=20
>>>=20
>>> I think it would be different issue, let's fix link state issue first.
>>=20
>> I think you're right that there are two issues here; I think I may have
>> confused matters a little by intertwining my observations from both of
>> them. Given that I've tried that patch and experienced the same link
>> state behavior, is there something else I can try?
>>=20
>=20
> Hmm, that's strange. Let me summarize your issue.
> You see "Waiting 30s for the default route interface" and you have
> to wait until you finally got default route interface? Or does it
> always time out for the default route interface and you always have
> to wait 30 seconds?
> Can msk(4) get an IP address via DHCP?

I am seeing the "Waiting 30s for the default route interface"
consistently on boot. If I take no action, the NIC will not work. The
30s will timeout, and the boot will continue without a default route
interface.=20

Once I get a shell, I run `ifconfig msk0` and see:
|         media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex,flag0,flag1>)
|         status: active

$ sudo tcpdump -nei msk0 not ether src host 00:16:cb:ae:5b:1f

No packets will be captured though the broadcast domain is quite
active (I'm excluding the ones that I'm attempting to send; I do see
those).

At this point, I physically disconnect and reconnect the cable.
Immediately, the tcpdump begins showing output.=20

Instead of allowing the "Waiting 30s" timer to expire, I can
disconnect/reconnect the cable during the boot process. If I do that,
the interface begins working, dhclient does its business, and the system
boots fine. A day later, it's still working.

--=20
Chris Cowart
  http://www.timesinks.net/

--da4uJneut+ArUgXk