Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 1996 00:35:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: make package dependencies thrash

 * LIB_DEPENDS=    tcl74\\.1\\.:${PORTSDIR}/lang/tcl \
 * 		tk40\\.1\\.:${PORTSDIR}/x11/tk

 * So, I am wondering why the tcl/tk dependencies are not a problem during
 * build, only during make package?  I guess I could put the actual tcl and
 * tk build directories out under /usr/ports but should I have to do that?

They don't cause a problem during build because they're LIB_DEPENDS,
which checks the existence of the indicated shared libraries using
"ldconfig -r" and attempts to build them only if they don't exist.  In
your case those libraries do exist, so the build dirs never get
checked.

However, to build a package, we need the ${PKGNAME} of the depended
port, as package dependencies are based entirely on package names.
bsd.port.mk obtains this by going into the depended port's directory
and do a "make package-name" (which is actually just a "echo
${PKGNAME}").  So if you don't have /usr/ports/lang/tcl (should be
tcl74, as someone else pointed out), it fails.

Satoshi