Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 1999 16:44:49 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/pccard pccard.c src/sys/isa sio.c src/sys/dev/ed if_ed_pccard.c src/sys/dev/ep if_ep_pccard.c

> > In the old old code this only
> > worked because the pcic interrupt handler wasn't masked, so the detach
> > routine could preempt the device interrupt handler and set the gone flag.
>
> Do you have a better solution than this?  This was the 'most' correct
> solution I could come up with.  (I'd love to hear about a better
> solution than this).

I've already proposed it; a bus method that a child can use to verify via
a hardware accessor in the parent bus that the hardware it "owns" is
still physically present.

> The only other solution I could envision was one involving re-writing
> all of the drivers to modify them so they would have timeouts reading
> hardware (difficult and time consuming), but this wouldn't work in
> newbus due to softc going away. :(

Again, the softc _can't_ go away until the driver lets it.  The driver
shouldn't let it until it's finished with it.  End of story.