Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 11:37:30 -0500
From:      "lists " <lists@joemagee.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Dynamic DNSing for Redundancy

Hello All!

I've been given a neato project. I need to setup a DNS server that will function as a regular DNS server as well as re-direct its DNS broadcasting in the even that a machine goes offline. Here is what I would like to do:

take the instance www.adomain.com Would have two webservers (their content would be manually synced) one at 24.X.X.x and one at 63.X.X.X.
A was thinking of using a script that would do this:

     ping 24.X.X.X
     if up than www.adomain.com = 24.X.X.X
     if down than
     ping 63.X.X.X
     if up than www.adomain.com = 63.X.X.X
     if down than
     ping GATE.WAY.OF.DNS
     if up than  alert me
     if down than REBOOT DNS SERVER

Does this make sense? is there a utility that will do this or should I just write this nifty script and somehow set it to run on a 5 minute basis. The reason I wanted a utility that did this is so I could have close to seemless (non-stateful) redundancy

I plan on doing this on all of my FreeBSD DNS servers if feasible.

Thanks

Joe Magee