Date:      Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:10:04 -0400
From:      David Pratt <fairwinds@eastlink.ca>
To:        Corey Brune <mcbrune@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Max files in unix folder from PIL process

Hi Corey.  Thank you for your reply. 800K is pretty significant.  Yes,
the reason I want to use the filesystem is to avoid the speed problems
that come from storing images in the database. I can see there really
being no limit when it comes to spreading the numbers thinner but most
concerned about so many in a single directory.  References to the
images will come from the database.  Do you don't think I should have
any problem with 150 - 175 K in a single directory - no subdirectories
- (just 175K jpg image files of a particular size)?  I guess you
definitely don't want to do an ls.  Would that crap out the server?

Regards,
David