Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 08:29:53 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        "Francis Percival C. Favoreal" <june@adn.edu.ph>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <questions@freebsd.ORG>
Subject:   Re: modems connected to BOCA 8-ports not responding

Francis Percival C. Favoreal wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Aug 1996, Gary Chrysler wrote:
>
> > Francis Percival C. Favoreal wrote:

> > > I tried it. I typed,
> > >
> > >         # cu -l cuaa4
> > >         Connected.
> > >
> > > After this I notice that the modem does not go off hook. And further
> > > more, when I tried to type AT, I don't see anything displayed on the
> > > screen. I know it's supposed to show 'AT' as I typed it.
> > >
> > > I thought maybe I referenced the wrong port, so I tried it all from cuaa5
> > > to cuaab but I got same results.
> > >
> > > I hope this piece of info helped.
> > >
> > > Any other test you could recommend?
> > >

> > Welp, it may or may not echo your keystrokes depending on your
> > modems E register. (ATE0 or 1, echo off or on)
> >
> > Although no matter what ATE is,  It still should echo OK by
> > entering AT if it's working.
> > Typing ATDT should result in a dial tone if plugged into
> > phone line. As stated earlier, I prefer to use ATDT it can be
> > heard!
> >
> > What do you get when you type:
> >       # cu -l cuaa4
> >       Connected.
> >       AT <enter>
> >       (Should result a: OK )
> >       ATDT <enter>
> >       (Should result a: dialtone if pluged to a phone line)
> > Unless of course it's broke. :)
>
> I think it isn't broke, because when I try this to connect this modem to
> COM1 it responds that is if I typed,
>
>         # cu -l cuaa0
>         Connected.
>         AT <enter>
>         OK

If you don't get the same results as above on the Boca ports
then it is broke!
Whats broke is yet to figure out.

Have you read: man 4 sio

> I get the results above. So, really there is nothing wrong with the
> modem. It just won't respond when I type AT commands if it was connected
> to one port in the BOCA board.

Never said the *modem* was broke.
I said *it's* broke, Meaning that something isn't right.

> > Did you make your device files after compiling/installing/re-booting
> > you system??
>
> To create the devices I used,
>
>         # MAKEDEV ttyd4 (upto ttydb)
>         # MAKEDEV cuaa4 (upto cuaab)
>
> Is there something I missed ?

Thats correct, But did you do this AFTER enabling COM_MULTIPORT,
recompiling and rebooting?
ie: After you saw the boot messages saying that sio4-11 are
    found??

I'll run down the steps as I see em from what I've read, I have not
actually done it with a Boca board.

Add options COM_MULTIPORT, sio4-11 to kernel config as stated in
man 4 sio.

# config YOURKERNEL
# cd ../../compile/YOURKERNEL
# make
# make install
# halt (shutdown now)

Power down, Install Properly configured Boca Board.
Power up, boot messages should pick up the sio4-11

# cd /dev
# sh MAKEDEV cuaa4 (thru 11)
# sh MAKEDEV ttyd4 (thru 11)

(I would reboot here, Although I belive it's not needed, I'm just
 that way)

# cu -l cuaa4
  Connected
  AT <enter>
  (should result: OK)

If not something is broke! and is above what I can do for you.
I personally don't use Boca boards so I know very little about them.

Is this what your sio11 looks like??
>From the man 4 sio page it states:
device sio11 at isa? port 0x338 tty flags 0xb05 irq 12 vector siointr
That is the MASTER PORT! according to 'flags 0xb05'
Change the IRQ to fit your Boca board of course!

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848