Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 1996 02:23:55 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        scrappy@ki.net (Marc G. Fournier)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with new drive (Connor CFP1060S 1.05GD 243F)

As Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> When I tried to install, it newfs'd 3 partitions, then got the above error
> on the 4th (you could hear the drive powerdown) and then when it went to
> the 5th, you could hear it power up again, and it newfs'd it and the 6th
> properly again.

> The drive is:
>
> (aha0:0:0): "CONNER CFP1060S 1.05GB 243F" type 0 fixed SCSI 2
> sd0(aha0:0:0): Direct-Access 1013MB (2074880 512 byte sectors)
>
> 	Are there any known problems with this drive?  Anything I should
> have jumpered that isn't?  Settings on the controller that I've missed?

The problems you are describing are of some other nature, trust me.
I've also got this kind of problems occasionally, and last time, i've
been suspicous about the drive, too.  It turned out to be a weak power
connector, my box is full of Y-cables... <:)

Try the drive with a totally different power supply.  Maybe your power
supply has too many spikes on the DC (possibly even R.F. spikes, use
an oscilloscope if you can).

Make absolutely sure that your drive does _NOT_ supply term power to
the bus.  Let the controller do this, not the drive.  (Normally, the
only problem with this is if a controller supplies +5 V for passive
termination, and a drive supplies +2.85 V for active termination, but
you never know for sure.  Remove the jumper if there is any.)

Some drives don't like to be grounded.  Try it without connecting the
metallic case to ground.

Finally, if the drive overheats, it usually also turns down.

--
cheers, J"org