Date:      Sun,  8 Oct 2000 21:22:46 +0000 (GMT)
From:      attila! <attila@hun.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Subject:   Re: POSTFIX-- Wietse: tweak and go! --pkg & port: both duds

on 8 Oct 2000 13:14:14 +0200, Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be> responded:

+ At 7:02 AM +0000 2000/10/8, attila! wrote:
+
+ >  (a) pick a directory and 'tar -zxf snapshot-20000531.tar.gz'
+ >
+ >  (b) 'cd snapshot-20000531'
+
+ Three things:
+
+ 1. You don't tell people where to get the postfix software.
+
+    Start with <http://www.postfix.org/ftp-sites.html>, and
+    select a mirror site close to you.

    True, I did not; thanx for pointing that out! I already had
    the code, both from the 'ports' version which did not install
    correctly, and one I had pulled down. A selection (more at
    www.postfix.org).

      ftp://ftp.merit.edu/postfix/experimental/
      ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/net/postfix/experimental/
      ftp://ftp.utoronto.ca/mirror/packages/postfix/experimental/
      ftp://ftp.samurai.com/pub/postfix/experimental/
      ftp://ftp.nl.uu.net/pub/unix/mail/postfix/experimental/
      ftp://ftp.cs.tu-berlin.de/pub/net/mail/postfix/experimental/
      ftp://ftp.mira.net/pub/unix/mail/postfix/experimental/
      ftp://coda.nctu.edu.tw/network/mail/postfix/experimental/

+ 2. You mention the use of snapshots, but this is not
+    recommended practice for sites new to postfix.  Instead,
+    start with the most recent "release" version, e.g.,
+    postfix-19991231-pl09.
+
+    According to Wietse, the "snapshot" versions are:
+
+      Work-in-progress code, subject to change, needs
+      testing before it can become an official release.
+
+    However, these versions are what he runs on his own
+    systems, so it's probably better than the official
+    "production" release version of code from most anyone
+    else.

    I look at 'snapshots' philosophically; if I willingly track
    FreeBSD-5.0-current, I am obviously accustomed to the risks
    therein.

    As I mentioned, FreeBSD-current has 'snapshot-20000531'
    available in both the 'pkg' and 'ports' libraries. Most
    sites that I am aware of are using the snapshot-50000531
    release, and as you point out, Wietse uses it on his
    site(s), which is more than enough of a recommendation from
    my perspective.

    20000531 also represents a major 'cut-point'.

    20001001 is the most current which Wietse is now running and
    stating that it is 'production quality'. Obviously, I will
    port 20001001 this afternoon!

on Sun, 8 Oct 2000 22:10:33 +0200, Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be> responded: