Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 22:21:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Congrats on CURRENT 5/1 SNAP...

> > > switched me back to FreeBSD for good.  My plan now is to try to bring in
> > > Solaris/ELF support (possibly from NetBSD) so that I can run all the
> > > Solaris "goodies" like ksh, Openwindows tools, Motif, and CDE (that, along
> > > with the fact that I do Solaris/SPARC development at work/school, was the
> > > main reason I bought Solaris/x86 [at educational discount] in the first
> > > place).
> >
> > YES!  I would love this.  If nothing else, it would open up large portions
> > of the Sun Catalyst catalog to us!
>
> Don't bet on it, Jordan!  Sun promotes Solaris/SPARC much more heavily (as
> rightly they should) than Solaris/x86 so there are about 10x as many
> Catalyst apps for Solaris/SPARC as for x86.  Still, Christos from NetBSD
> says that their code runs OpenWindows apps whoohoo!  Except for programs
> which require ttsession which need LWP (i.e. threads).  Also, he claimed
> the code would be fairly portable to FreeBSD, and that our ELF loader
> should be usable, so I'll give it a try and let you all know how it goes!

Which LWP?  The SunOS 4.x LWP, which is a user space library that
uses aioread/aiowrite/aiowait/aiocancel, or the kernel threads in
Solaris, also called LWP's?

"There are no SunOS 4.x LWP's, there are only Solaris LWP's!"
"We have *always* been at war with the East!"
"There is no Dana, only Zuul!"

The SunOS LWP's are pretty easy.

The Solaris LWP's are a bit harder.  They require kernel preemption and
multithreading.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---