Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 1999 18:44:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>, J McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading/CVSUPping with bad ISP connection

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, David Scheidt wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Tom Embt wrote:
>
> > Make sure you've installed the mergemaster port, it's not part of the base
> > distribution.

	It is now, for both -current and -stable. If you don't have it
installed already you can 'cp /usr/src/usr.sbin/mergemaster/mergemaster.sh
/usr/sbin/mergemaster' and you're good to go.

> > This is the (slightly abbreviated) order of things:
> >
> > 1. Sync your source tree (eg, with cvsup).
> > 2. Check /usr/src/UPDATING for any important info.
>

> I very strongly suggest building a new kernel, installing it, and rebooting
> *before* building world.  It is much easier to recover from a broken kernel
> than a broken world.  New kernels work with old worlds, but the reverse
> isn't always true.

	It's also not true that new kernels always work with old
worlds. Especially in the 3.x branch. I just ran into this today where a
a kernel built from sources cvsup'ed to -Stable today would not run in a
3.3-Release (from CD) world.

	There are still a lot of build issues to be worked out before one
method or another becomes the law of the land. Take a look at
http://freebsd.simplenet.com/upgrade.html for a slightly out of date
version of my take on the upgrade from source process.

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"