Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 12:13:51 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@toxic.magnesium.net>
Subject:   Re: [MAILER-DAEMON@magnesium.net: failure notice]

In the last episode (Dec 11), Gary Kline said:
> 	The thing is that when  I used mail.magnesium.net, I got
> 	the same 553 errror.  Also, from
>
> 	  http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=thought.org
>
> 	I got a FAIL on the postmaster auth entry.

Same reason.  The FAIL on that page is because mail.speakeasy.net does
not think it's a MX for thought.org.

> 	I did check out speakeasy.net's web site on this; it mumbled
> 	one like about using sendmail's SASL.  --Sorry, but this is
> 	seriously out f my league!!  Anybody know what 'SASL' is?
> 	(I just tweaked my /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file.  It says::

That's talking about sending outgoing mail, and is to prevent spammers
from using speakeasy's servers without authentication.  Your problem is
with incoming mail, and requiring anyone that wants to send you mail to
use SASL is ridiculous.

Pester Speakeasy and make sure they know you're talking about MXes for
incoming mail.  Large ISPs usually have different machines dedicated to
incoming vs outgoing mail.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com