Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2007 20:32:20 -0300
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Roman Divacky <rdivacky@freebsd.org>, pluknet <pluknet@gmail.com>, current@freebsd.org, =?iso-8859-1?q?Bj=F6rn_K=F6nig?= <bkoenig@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Subject:   Re: Adding k9 and k10 to bsd.cpu.mk

On Friday 31 August 2007 02:38:52 Bj=F6rn K=F6nig wrote:
> JoaoBR wrote:
> > but athlon64-x2 for S940 and athlon64-am2 for sse3 capable cpus would be
> > kind of understandable for all
> > [...]
> > venice as said in another mail is not clear for all people and certainly
> > it does not appear on the box or elsewhere
>
> I think the names "athlon64-x2" and "athlon64-am2" would be most confusing
> and ambiguous, because the socket has nothing to do with the feature set
> of the CPU. Athlon64 X2 CPUs are not only available for socket 940, but
> also for AM2 and 939. There are SSE3 CPUs that fit into 940, AM2 and 939.

well, the x2 thing I wasn't  thinking it through and you are right, what I=
=20
meant to say that so far as I know all S939-X2 are SSE3 capable and rev-E a=
t=20
least as all am2 are

so eventually, athlon64-E would be more appropriate (with proper man make.c=
onf=20
explanation)

opterons are not easy but it is already kind of advanced cpu so could be=20
expected more knowledge from the user and that he 'eventually'=20
read /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf ... or not (if there were something=
=20
about sse3) but in any case opteron and additional opteron-E also would do=
=20
it ...

=2D-=20

Jo=E3o