Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 1998 22:31:18 +0000
From:      Mark Blackman <tmb@asd1.rl.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Semi-Historical Note [jasone@canonware.com: Disinvolvement with FreeBSD/SPARC]

Just for some context regarding recent messages,
and this gentleman if still employed by Sun Microelectronics can
get you documentation.

----- Forwarded message from Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com> -----

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 23:37:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To: freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Disinvolvement with FreeBSD/SPARC

Back in November or so, I announced that as part of my job at Sun, I would
be working on a port of FreeBSD to the UltraSPARC.  Since then, a number
of events have happened that prevented me from making much progress on the
port.

In particular, I was put on a high-priority internal project to speed up
progress. This project took virtually all of my time at work (plus some).
My superiors made the correct decision in putting me on the project, but
it did impede my progress on FreeBSD.

Most recently, it appears that marketing at Sun Microelectronics does not
have the necessary tangible demand from potential customers to put
resources into the port, especially given that there are other more
lucrative projects that are under-staffed.  Once again, the people making
the decisions are doing the proper thing, but it of course has a negative
impact on the FreeBSD port, at least as far as my time is concerned.

This puts me in an uncomfortable position.  I'm very interested in seeing
a FreeBSD/SPARC port, but it is no longer part of my job to work on the
port.  That means I have to make a decision about what to do with my "free
time" outside of work.

Deciding whether to pursue the FreeBSD/SPARC port has been a difficult
decision for me.  In the end however, I have decided to not work on it as
a personal project.  The main reason for this is that I have been working
on the design for SQRL, a SQL-92 DBMS (http://www.sqrl.org/sqrl) for over
two years now, and writing it is very important to me.  Since SQRL is my
true programming love, I don't think I would be able to do the
FreeBSD/SPARC port justice.

There are hopefully some positive aspects of my decision for the FreeBSD
community.  I'm developing SQRL on FreeBSD, and you can be sure that it
will run best on FreeBSD.  It will be an excellent DBMS, an asset to
FreeBSD. =)

Also, my job at Sun includes supporting people in porting their OSes to
the UltraSPARC.  I am available to anyone in the FreeBSD group as an
information resource, and I will make it a priority to aid any FreeBSD
porting efforts with useful information.

I hope the FreeBSD community can understand and accept my decision to
discontinue work on FreeBSD/SPARC at this time.  Undoubtedly this email
will perturb some people, but I'd rather do that now than dishonestly act
like I'm kinda sorta working on the port.

Regards,
Jason Evans

Jason Evans
Email: [jasone@canonware.com]
Home phone: [(650) 856-8204]
Work phone: [(408) 774-8007]
Quote: ["Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration" - Thomas Edison]

----- End forwarded message -----