Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 08:43:45 +0100 (CET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com>
Cc:        "[M_rten Wikstr_m]" <Marten.Wikstrom@framfab.se>, "'freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Routing latency

> > I'm using the de driver. Alas, the NICs seems quite old. They are 21140's.
> > I've only got one 21143. I think there is a 3COM 3c905b in the lab too.
> > Would it be better to use the 21143 + 3com than two 21140s?
>
> definitely : in my packet blaster, I get an order of magnitude less
> packet drops with a 3c905 than with a dc NIC (which is on a multi-port
> NIC : the PCI-PCI bridge may be a hindrance there)

not my experience -- with the 21143 i can blast 140kpacket/s
and receive them with no problems.
For sure the "de" driver might have its own problems,
but i think a lot of packet drops also depend on the card
not being properly set for full duplex (which can
cause collisions and lots of drops).

	cheers
	luigi