Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 2003 18:12:03 +0100
From:      Ducrot Bruno <ducrot@poupinou.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bad ACPL asl's on motherboards

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 07:35:35AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 06:07:45AM -0800, Joel M. Baldwin wrote:
> > I gather that there are quite a few Motherboards with bad ACPI asl's
> > on them.  I know that my Abit BP6 sure has problems.  As a result I
> > can't run ACPI.
> >
> > What are those of us with these motherboards supposed to to?
> > But this doesn't help me much since I don't know what corrections to
> > make to the original asl file.  Nor does it help the other people
> > out there using BP6's.
>
> I'm convinced that if we are going to keep insisting that ACPI is enabled
> by default, we need to gather the various fixed AML's and commit them to
> the tree.  I can't decide if they should be ports, or in /usr/src.

It sound like a good idea.  However, there is a lot of isssues evolved.
First, a DSDT table can and will be generated autmatically on the POST,
because at least the memory controller can have different configurations
depending on the total amount of the system memory than need to be
reflected in the DSDT table.  Second, even if this is ok, you have
to consider that an OEM can have made modifications to their AML to
correct some bugs and justifying a bios upgrade.  You loose then those
bug fixes.

--
Ducrot Bruno

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.